IN THE THINK MODULE, YOU WILL LEARN:
- How to map the immunisation landscape
- How decisions are made for vaccines and immunisation
- How vaccines are financed
- Identifying important and influential people
We have discussed in the START section some of the challenges facing our shared goal to get vaccines to every child: problems of equity, supply and delivery systems, sustained financing, for example.
How do those problems play out in your country? What are the gaps in the immunisation delivery system? Why are some children not receiving vaccines? What are the opportunities for change and improvement?
The first step to answering those questions is to do some homework and research.
This section – THINK – will:
- Walk you through the steps of mapping the landscape in your country.
- Give insight into how decisions are made around immunisation and vaccines – and importantly who makes them.
- Help you to understand how the government finances vaccines and immunisation delivery.
- Provide tools and exercises to guide you with identifying people who are current or potential partners, influencers, champions and decision-makers.
It may seem a lot of work to research and find these answers, but the knowledge you will gain, the insight you will acquire and the evidence you will gather will help you with subsequent tasks in the PLAN section, such as conducting a Gap Analysis and building your effective Advocacy Strategy, and in CREATE to develop powerful evidence-based messages, and know who to deliver them to.
Taking time to THINK builds the strong foundation for creating the political commitment needed to save children’s lives through strengthened immunisation delivery and vaccines.